Monday, June 13, 2005

God Humbles Those Who Walk in Pride

Some would say that Saturday mornings are a time for sleep, a time for washing the car or just relaxation in general. Whenever I am home in the summer, however; they are usually a time for basketball. For many years men at my church here in San Antonio have gathered to play basketball, since the days we would play in the parking lot long before we built the gym. Things have changed since those old days ( you no longer have to adjust your shot for the wind), but the Saturday morning tradition remains the same.
My younger brother Ben and I decided that we would take up that tradition and made numerous phone calls inviting people to come and play. The morning came and six showed up. We decided to play three on three halfcourt, it was all we could do. The teams were me and an older father from the school and his freshman, 4 and 1/2 foot tall son against Ben (6'3'') Tyler Sultze (6'0'') and another man from our church, Tom Longhway (6'2''). I thought "oh well, we'll be slaughtered but it will be fun to play." So we did, my team called ourselves the Spurs and we labeled the other team the Pistons. True to form, the Spurs took the first three games. (Even though the other team had the height, we shot the threes well and they couldn't make their layups). Then a shooting drought developed for the Spurs and the Pistons took the next three games straight. This forced a decisive game seven.
Now, my basketball playing ability is something that I have taken more too much pride in for a long time. Ever since I can remember, I really enjoyed playing basketball. When I was a kid, my idea of relaxing was going outside and shooting, over and over again. I got pretty good in high school and was a state all-star, but not good enough to play in college (though I immersed myself in intramurals). In college I think I began to realize just how sinfully I treated basketball and how in many ways I had made my basketball image an idol in my heart. After realizing this, many things changed and I began to think and act differently on the court (for instance, I would pass) and just about the game in general.
Then we came to game seven. I remember thinking at the beginning that I was going to take over, be unstoppable, and single-handedly carry my team to victory. And I did. I made four three pointers as well as a few other buckets and we won. (For those of you wondering how the finals will turn out, Spurs in seven.) I was satsified after that game that "I could still bring it" and my thoughts were filled with pride and the fact that I was "the best on the court." So I said to the guys that we should play one more game "just for fun."
We played and then on the last shot I went up, took the shot and when I came down, I rolled my right ankle, spraining it very badly. Thankfully Tom, who I took the shot over, is a physical therapist and I starting receiving instant treatment. I heard later from Tom's wife that Tom had remarked at home that it was a "really bad sprain."

Thinking about this at home afterwards was so good because revealed my sin of pride to me. He showed me that I had put Him on the bench for game seven and that I was going to be the star. When I think about it, I think of Nebuchadnezzar in the book of Daniel who one day he lifted up his eyes to behold Babylon and said, "Is not this great Babylon, which I have built by my mighty power as a royal residence and for the glory of my majesty?" That very moment God drove him from the city and for a long period of time he ate grass like a cow and his hair was like eagle's feathers and his nails like birds claws. At the end of that time his reason returned to him and he said, "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of Heaven, for all his works are right and his ways just, and He is able to humble all those who walk in pride."

I praise the Lord that he humbled me on that Saturday morning and he did not let me continue even for an hour in my state of pride. I would encourage you to think about the way that you think. It may not be basketball for you, but what do you take pride in? Is it the Lord? The Bible says "Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord." Realize too that if you are walking in pride, God can and will humble you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christa Blakey said...

Hi Billy-
Sorry to read (and see!) about your ankle, but I really like how you can see how the Lord used that to teach you such a valuable lesson in Him. Thanks for sharing that. I know that there are areas of pride in my life too, this post was a very good and necessary reminder to boast only in Him.
-Christa

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord that He uses even times of difficulty and pain to grow us spiritually!

5:52 AM  
Blogger Pastor Bruce said...

Yo,

Good post. Does this mean you will establish a new e-mail address changing from "shoot the ball" to "pass the ball?"

Seriously, I know I struggled in the same way with golf when I was your age. Amazing how we can take a skill and turn it into an idol. However, once I dealt with this idol, golf actually became more enjoyable. All this shows the depths of our sin and the greatness of God's transforming grace.

Keep dribbling,
Dad

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home