Thursday, November 16, 2006

Unchanging

So, in the midst of a very "busy" season of life, there are certain things that I am particularly thankful for. The biggest elicitor of my thankfulness as of late has been the Lord. I love that I can not only be thankful that He is the Lord, but I can be thankful for the way He is the Lord.

Here is what I mean: God displays His God-ness through His attributes. One of which that I have been particularly grateful for lately is the fact that He is unchanging. He never changes. He is the same. Particularly I have exulted in this being expressed through His word.

Lately at work, I have been swimming in the deep blue sea of FASB (Financial Accounting Standards Board) statement No. FAS 123(R) (I know, instantly your mind thinks "NERD!" Mind does too). It is a revision of FASB No. 123 which was issued yeah but ten years ago. This document is incredibly complex and I have been trying to get my arms around it. We have to audit the Company's application of this statement and it is disheartening to know that next year, there will be some new statement that we have to audit the Company's application of. In the world of accounting, the authoritative literature never stops changing. It creates a tremendous amount of work for all those involved (as evidenced by the fact that I was at work until midnight last night).

Isn't it great to know that Romans 8:28 doesn't become Romans 8:28(R). Isn't it great to know that when you go back to a passage that you studied last year, that it is still the same? Isn't it great to know that it is only your understanding that changes by hopefully understanding it more? I don't understand how some religions can have "the authority" up for edit.

Praise God for His unchangability expressed through His word!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro!

Thanks for taking time out of the busyness to blog it up! Great thoughts.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Bri said...

Amen to that, glad you found time for a post, i have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new post from the ever elusive billy blakey. and on a more serious note, i got a new phone, therefore lost your number. so if you have time in the next few weeks call me! miss u,
xoxo

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, Glad to see your blog is living up to its name. This post was full of great thoughts and perusals. Looking forward to more!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Ty said...

Dear Patriarch of Blogdom,
Thanks for the post; very encouraging.

10:48 AM  
Blogger roberta said...

I too praise God that He is the only unchanging certainty in a very uncertain and constantly changing world. I had never thought about it quite the way you presented it however. I loved the "Isn't it great to know that Romans 8:28 doesn't become Romans 8:28(R)?" line. What a great and awesome God we serve!

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home